Thursday, October 15, 2009

Can big thighs save your life?!


So. Part one of Learning to Love the Thighs of Doooom...

I'm going to try to collect good news stuff about having bigger-than-average bits (if you'll pardon the expression) because I don't want to just moan about my legs. If I'm going to do this, I need all the positive encouragement I can get.

And it starts here...

According to an article on the BBC news website, scientists have discovered that the larger a person's thighs are, the more their hearts are protected. Crazy, but true. Science fact. Scientists studied 3,000 people and, men and women with thighs over 23.6" (60cm) in circumference have a lower risk of heart disease and early death. It's something to do with insulin, apparently - muscle mass is important to help the body deal properly with insulin levels. So narrow thighs could lead to an increased risk of diabetes, according to the report.

I'm not looking for justification for being the size I am - after all, one of the main objectives of my year-long challenge is to lose some of the inches from my almost-three-feet-in-circumference thighs - but it just goes to show that our bodies are amazing things we're still learning about. So today, I feel a little less ashamed of my bulky friends (thighs, that is. Not actual friends. All of my friends are of the decidedly non-bulky variety...) - and that can only be a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see some good news for a change!
    Keep going!

    ReplyDelete